Quester Tangent is seeking an Intermediate to Senior level Software Developer with a solid understanding of C/C++ in a real-time, multi-threaded environment for our on-train, configuration and testing applications. As a software developer, you will be involved in all stages of the software product development lifecycle with emphasis on conformance, reliability, testability and maintainability. You will design, implement, test and document to ensure the software meets technical requirements and applicable standards.
This position will be adapted to meet the abilities of the successful applicant. The applicant with significant training and experience will be given the challenges and responsibility to match their abilities. A Junior level incumbent will receive the time and mentoring necessary to develop into the role.
Quester Tangent offers a competitive salary and benefits package, opportunity for travel (when safe to do so), quarterly personal days, and flexible core hours.
How you will spend your day:
- Working directly with the Software Product Team Lead to determine scope of requirements, design and implementation strategies.
- Coordination and collaboration with software development team members and internal stakeholders
- Planning, estimating and scheduling relevant work breakdown
- Preparing requirements, design, and test documentation to IEEE 1558 software standards
- Implementing unit and integration level test suites for incorporation into automated test infrastructure
- Designing, implementing, testing and debugging C/C++ on-train application software in a Linux environment on ARM targets. This includes new development and maintenance on existing code base.
What you will need to succeed:
- Diploma or degree in Software or Computer Engineering, Computer Science; or related experience
- >4 years product development experience coding and debugging in C/C++
- >2 years use of a revision control system
- Solid understanding of real-time computing in a multi-threaded environment
- Understanding of design for test, white and black box methodologies.
- Firm understanding of software standards
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability to create innovative, yet maintainable and testable solutions
Experiences that will help you thrive:
- Development under Linux OS with use of gdb, valgrind, tcpdump, SSH and similar tools
- Familiarity with IEEE SW standards (1558 applies to rail equipment)
- Perforce Helix revision control system
- Creation of automated test scripts for unit and integration tests
- SQLite RDBMS and/or key-value data storage paradigm
- Familiarity with networking and distributed system concepts
- Application networking software
- Experience with scripting languages
- Ability to work directly with electronics
We are expanding our rail transit electronics and software business and are looking for an individual to work hard and share in our success. We have a strong track record of bringing innovative monitoring, diagnostics, and control electronics to the urban rail transit market.
Come join us!
Established in 1983, Quester Tangent is a privately- owned, Canadian corporation and a designer and manufacturer of software products and hardware systems that allow users to acquire, monitor, validate and process large amounts of data in either historical or real-time. The application of the technology is ideal for the rail transit industry requiring data handling and supervised or unsupervised processing capabilities. To date, Quester Tangent has sales in over 30 countries.
Quester Tangent is an equal opportunity employer that values and respects all employees as individuals, regardless of age, race, nationality, religion, sexual orientation, and gender. Diversity brings new ideas, inspires innovation, and strengthens the company.
In support of a health work-life balance, we are proud to offer a full suite of group benefits, personal paid days off, and are located outside of the downtown core in an area surrounded by natural green spaces. We have showers and bicycle racks if you wish to commute by bicycle, free parking if you prefer to drive, and on a major bus route if you prefer public transit.
How to apply:
Send an e-mail to Human Resources: firstname.lastname@example.org